Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 21/01/18 13:58, Andrew Kendall wrote:
I can identify the hardware - I built it, although at the moment I have no idea what
ufei is I'll do the research.

I use all the typical MS apps, Office 2010, ESET antivirus which has a port to Linux for Suse,
Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, Red Hat (64-bit), I play an old game TA:Kingdoms which would
be a "must". And quite a few others, I'll need to list them.

I suppose the best thing to do is perform and initial dual boot install and start using
it. My fear is that I'll need to learn it all to be able to support the wife's PC too, and
my laptop (Dell Latitude D630), and my daughters PC..... <sigh>  :-(

Hi Andrew, I guess you are the newcomer to our meeting in Holsworthy. I can't remember where you live, but I could certainly set up a meeting to have a chat about this some time. I too look after my own computers and also those for my wife and daughter, so I am used to that. If you make the next meeting we could arrange something.

I am pleased at the response to my email. It seems there is some interest in this. The suggestions for actual distros so far have not mentioned the one I use, Linux Lite. This is supposed to be a good one for people moving over from Windows. It uses xfce as the desktop, which I know well, and in spite of its name, is can be developed into a very powerful distro.

I should also mention that I have seen several examples recently of people saying to avoid dual boot, especially if it a case of MS Windows alongside Linux. Far better to find an old computer to use, apparently.

Now I must look at creating a live Linux USB.

Neil