Re: [LUG] IRC: Freenode -> Libera

On 17/06/2021 09:39, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Paul
>
> 1.    Thank you for all the time and effort you have contributed to
>       helping people with Linux: still remember chatting with you in the
>       Rugby bar in Paignton.
>
> 2.    I hope you continue to help, be it websites or whatever.
>
> 3.    Web design is not my area of expertise. If it works, it works. I
>       know plenty of web designers who charge 2 arms and 3 legs for
>       pretty websites. I know some designers who charge less---£250 set
>       up costs for a basic website, £450 for a more complicated website.
>
>       Whatever.
>
>       I have also come across plenty of websites that have had
>       masses of money spent on them and are complete thieving c$$p. And that is
>       one reason why I still have a laptop running windows. I need to
>       access the website but will they work on Linux, no.
>
>       And when I ring up (yesterday) and ask to complain given that my
>       wife has not been able to log in for 7 days to her bank and get
>       told by some minion of soulless orthodoxy that any complaint will
>       be rejected because "terms and conditions do not guarantee 100%
>       uptime" ...  Glossy websites are not the be all and end all.
>
> IF members want to spend money on a glossy design..in the meantime I
> take my hat off to all members who help, be it in big ways or small.

To Paul and all members DCGLug

1. I concur that Paul does a good job.
His uploading of pages to inform and educate has allowed me to use the
site for my own benefit.
I know VERY LITTLE about Linux, but like many others just use it.

2. The site may be distasteful to some in appearance, but it works!
Unless you are able to contribute to it and improve it, to help the Lug
or the site, then constructive criticism can of course help, but man
hours to help would I think be much more appreciated by Paul.

I thank Paul for all his good work which has helped me  (and my senior
pupils) a lot.

I have no 'technical or computer* skills to contribute, so I can only
use the DCGLug website for my benefit, *but* much more importantly, I
have sent my senior pupils to it to get help from the array of knowledge
linked to inside this  site.

PLEASE give thanks and appreciation where it is due.

I understand the social media buttons for others to use if required.

I do not use them, and my system has a few add-ons to keep out worst of
trackers etc. (Ghostery, Adblock Origin, NoScript, FaceBook  pixel
blocker, etc. but these are  just elementary examples of self preservation.

3. Example while I know the term "IRC" I have never used it until by
this stramash about Freenode-Libera intrigued me.
I then after using the site got into the DCGLug chat room on Libera, but
realised it is for esoteric discussion way above my level.
Or I deeply wondered what and how folk use it? And for what?

4 The DCGLug folk have by the email system and Paul's very good work in
posting new pages and maintaining help links enable me to succeed in
USING a Linux system as my daily driver.

This is no mean achievement.
I give thanks to all for their help and appreciate the help of the
DCGLug folk, who due to distance I will never meet in the flesh.

5. I note from history that the social rifts over small and sometimes
insignificant things in small groups often leads to their demise and a
non-benefit for the greater good.

6. Until two days ago I could not have nor would  I have under stood the
IRC reference to a new chat room to discuss the website.
QUOTE
please join #DCGLUG-Website on Libera
UNQUOTE

Most folk who need help to use Linux would not think of IRC as a means
to get help, [that is the initiated speaking to the initiated!] but
would use FaceBook, or other social media groups, and in this way the
DCGLug website with links (albeit I have never used) may be a big help.

I repeat I thank Paul for all his efforts.

7 I deeply concur with Neil Stone's statement, my emphasis below, as I
have seen Paul's requests for help, but I could not contribute.
QUOTE
"It's not often that I will raise my head above the parapet, however
this is one of those times.

I feel that Paul has done amazing work for the LUG over several decades
(organising and running meetings, website maintenance, maintaining the
IRC presence, etc), and having someone put down what he's worked on
mostly off his own back, *despite there having been a number of requests
for help and input, is simply not acceptable*. I can empathise with
Paul's feelings about being in a no win situation, I've been there and
experienced that also.
UNQUOTE

8 Personal observation.
I am not in favour of dark themes, but that is due to *my defective
eyesight*.
I tend to eschew sites with dark themes.

9. I trust the DCGLug will overcome this somewhat minor squabble and
proceed to help the group and others.

10. The simple help of stating when a video chat by LUG members was
available on Jitsi helped me personally a lot during this enforced
lockdown. (A video call helped interaction with others to preserve my
well-being and I thank Paul for providing this information.

11 REQUEST
A very long time ago Comrade Meowski gave a learned reply on the
difference between booting up normally (default) and booting up  by
a 'safe boot' (I forget the name), which showed different order of
booting some files which allowed me to recover my system at that time.
Unfortunately I never copied it down, and would if possible like to
retrieve that email.
Is it possible?

12 Thanks to all in the DCGLug for helping me on my journey as a user.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald