Re: [LUG] Misunderstanding the Free Software philosophy

On 28 December 2012 12:41, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This crystallizes some worries and doubts I have about this and other LUGs
> I've been involved with:

A fair point and well made, although personally I try to use FOSS to
distinguish against "free" which means to most people "Oh, I don't
have to pay for it?" and nothing else. That perception won't change.

FOSS is also free, but not all free is FOSS.

As you'll guess by now, I like FOSS (I've released software and source
under this, and previously as "Public Domain" when I was coding for
Fidonet and DOS in the early and mid 90s. Now I don't generally bother
because there are far more, and better, coders and better distribution
channels so anything I do will have been done better by somebody
else). Surprised yer chap doesn't mention FOSS as a handy acronym -
seems ideal to me!

What does annoy me more than anything is when "Free" projects try to
monetize themselves, or put barriers in the way of freedom by
protecting some small but critical part of the code that prevents
recompiling, or makes it deliberately obfuscated so nobody else can be
bothered to compile. (I site the windows versions of Xchat for this.
Free under linux, but successively difficult to build under Windows
that the author sells the product).   If you want to make money out of
software, and I have no objection to that AT ALL, then do it honestly
and sell the thing outright where it can stand or fall on its merits.
Don't blur the "free" software market with something that's not.

This is another reason why I value Debian, that the repo maintainers
make a conscious effort to separate what is and what is not, often to
levels that might frustrate the user, but ultimately protect them.
Unless I deliberately add a non-free repos, I can be totally sure what
I install is free and FOSS. I don't ever bother to get the sources and
recompile, but it matters to me that I could if I wanted to.