Re: [LUG] Being a school governor ...

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 21:44 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> There's a governors position open in a nearby school and I've made initial
> enquiries into it... But I'm just wondering if anyone here is/has been a
> governor of their local school? This is a primary school FWIW...
>
> Any pointers - or run away, screaming... !!!
I was a Governor at Helston School and Wendron School. I am happy to
discuss experiences - basically you can be as active or inactive as you
want. Once you get on to a committee, there's more work, though again
you can leave it to others to do the donkey work and just turn up to
committee meetings. Once you get elected as a committee chair the work
leaps up, especially on the financial or worse the staffing commmittee
(as I was). There are also other jobs which you can be press-ganged into
depending on the school, though a primary school is MUCH less work than
a secondary. I just turned up for a once per term meeting and had no
other jobs. It was a large comprehensive that demands time and effort.
Of course you can volunteer to do things you like to do.

Phone me any time if this would help. I did particularly enjoy my time
with the primary school.

James

--
james kilty