Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

I find this quite weird. My Son started Lipson Community College and they encourage the use of open source software. They even recognize parents can't afford M$ software This is from the parent portal on helping at home:

Office Suite

The College uses the Microsoft Office suite of programs for word processing, spreadsheets etc.  However, whilst providing plenty of features, the software is very expensive and not everyone has a copy at home.

As an alternative, there is a free office suite which is available to download called OpenOffice, that provides 90% of the features of Microsoft Office.  For those with a fast internet connection (broadband), the software can be downloaded by visiting http://www.openoffice.org/ and clicking 'I want to download OpenOffice.org'.  If you have a slower connection, the IT technical staff can provide a copy for the cost of one blank CD.

Both my kids only use Linux at home and have never complained about needing Windows.