Re: [LUG] Hosting a site on my PC.

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, I asked recently about web hosting services as my ISP doesn't provide me
> with any space but I have been considering recently hosting the site on my
> desktop PC. I can do this, right? As far as I know at the moment it seems
> possible. I could set the computer up to allow other users to connect. This
> I have a slight grasp of. What I can't get my head around though is how do I
> get a domain name to point to the IP address of my PC?
> This IS possible right? I bought my current PC froma gamer. It's some kind
> of stupidly fast 'dual core' and it has LIGHTS ON THE RAM!...So it is fast
> anyway and I have a fair bit of spaire storadge in all of my old harddrives.
> Would you reccoment this over buying a domain and webspace and is it fairly
> easy?

Well - it's posible, but you need a static IP address on your ADSL service
you need to run some web server software on your PC and you need to leave
it on all the time. You'll also need port-forwarding on your router to
allow incoming connections to go to your PC. Then of-course you need to
develop content for the site, but that's another matter...

But I have to say - unless you're doing this as some sort of learning
excercie, it's probably easier to just pay an external service to do it
all for you and have the site hosted somewheere on a server designed to
run 24/7 in a decent data centre...

123-reg.co.uk is a reasonable place to buy domains from - they let you
setup your own DNS entries (so you'll need an A record pointing www to
your home IP address at the very minimum)

Good luck!

Gordon