Re: [LUG] OT: Telly signal quality

> As for Simons comment on recording the stuff he really wants
> to watch - sounds
> like a good idea but he must spend his life pouring through
> the listings and
> watching rubbish to find out about it  or is there something
> somewhere that
> gives only listings of programs for people with an IQ of 50
> or more to cut it
> down to 10 shows a week if your lucky?
> Tom te tom te tom
>

> --

I was recently given a DVD recorder with freeview built in and a hard drive.
Finding something worth recording (or looks worth watching) is a simple
matter of a few minuted with the EPG over the next few days then selecting
it for recording to HDD.
If I really do want to archive something then it's just put onto DVD

Quality programmes do still exist ; although its all personal opinion.
Larkrise has been excellent, Ashes to Ashes.
And I do love recording Everybody loves Raymond & 2 & a half men.

That's just on the normal terrestial channels of course.
As for the rest ? E4,BBC3 & 4 and Film 4 have something that's decent a
couple of times a week.

My solution to not wading through all the shopping channels is to set up a
favorites list and just use that to check whats on.

I've also found I've been a lot more selective as I can stream programmes
from iplayer in linux & firefox to catch up.

I just have a loft aerial. Can only get about 22 channels and find the
picture fine. No droput or freezing. Much improved signal since I tried
OnDigital afew years ago. We are even getting rid of sky and just keeping it
for FTV/FTA channels.
The only thing I think we'll miss is Paramount & Sci-Fi.
Stargate Atlantis on Sky1 is always available elsewhere.

Ray