Re: [LUG] 35 years since the 4004 arrived

On Saturday 17 November 2007 09:41:07 Tom Potts wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/16/intel_4004_calc_simulator/
> the first comment is rather amusing!
> Tom te tom te tom

I had a 4004 system once. It was a salvaged Central Dynamics video edit
controller from 1974. Full of relays and lots of TTL. The display was nixie
tubes, with the colons between the digits - early LEDs. It had the most
amazing way of executing user options. Each user "program" had its own EPROM.
The keyboard had a set of function keys. If you pressed a key it would select
an EPROM (latched in TTL) and reset the processor. So every function hard
reset the CPU, which just ran the new EPROM from the start. Weirdest
architecture I've seen. For a small package it needed half of its pins to
provide multiple power rails, and multiphase clocks, if I remember correctly.

I wonder what happened to mine?