Re: [LUG] upgrading

On Wednesday 11 Dec 2002 9:54 am, Mike Chidley wrote:
I`ll shortly be receiving a new computer :-)..... my question is how best
to move my system from my old computer to my new computer as I have never
done this before.

If you decide not to rip the hard drive from the old machine, it's not that
hard to install Linux on a new system with the configuration from an existing
system. Then you'll also have a spare system that can be used as a firewall
or router etc. A pair of network cards and a hub and you're set. If you do
this first, it's even easier to make an identical copy of your existing
config. One tar.gz tarball, one ftp session, one tar -xzf and you could be
done!
:-))

Make a backup of the home directory as a tarball - you can then decompress
the entire home directory and restore all your email accounts, bookmarks,
GnuPG key rings, etc. (Just make sure you clear the disc cache in Mozilla /
Galeon and use kio-http-cleaner --clean-all for Konqueror - you don't need a
backup of your internet cache.) If you don't have anywhere to store the
tarball (like a CD or other device), you could use webspace from your ISP
perhaps. You could put a few config files from /etc in the tarball too,
perhaps /etc/httpd/conf/ , /etc/ppp , just copy them to your home directory
and copy them back afterwards.

As long as you are installing the same distro version on the new machine, it
should be fine.

Make a note of which packages you really want and make sure they are in the
package selection to save time after the install.

I have two options as I see it.....

1. Move the 20gig HD to the new computer and run it as a slave to the new
drive.

The vast majority of the data on that drive will not need to be copied to the
new system. It seems a waste of your existing system to rip the hard drive
out of it when you could simply copy the essential data across to a new
install. Plus you'll have to re-configure the existing system.

2. Repartition the 40gig HD and do a clean install, but then i`ll have to
set everything up again.

RedHat has a KickStart configurator that can make this quite easy - it'll
store the main parts of the configuration on just a floppy or two.

I would really like to do option 1, but how do a go about changing the
config. i.e for the new hardware....I really haven`t got a clue how to do
it.

Potentially, the hardest thing to do could be to get X to work with your new
system, graphics card etc. especially if you've forked out for a TFT panel.
That's why I'd say it's best to leave that to the RedHat installer and simply
copy the essential data only.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk/