Re: [LUG] Samba should I be concerned ?

On 18/04/13 14:49, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> I have set up a Fedora18 linux PC with samba it s Domestic and on cable
> with just ssh open on the router
>
> I did a smbtree to check the samba and got this?
>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.122.1 ( 192.168.122.1 )
> Connecting to 192.168.122.1 at port 445
> Doing spnego session setup (blob length=74)
> got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
> got principal=not_defined_in_RFC4178@please_ignore
> Got challenge flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x608a8215
> NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
> NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
> MSHOME
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name MSHOME<0x1d>
> Got a positive name query response from 192.168.122.1 ( 192.168.122.1 )
> Connecting to 192.168.122.1 at port 445
> Doing spnego session setup (blob length=74)
> got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
> got principal=not_defined_in_RFC4178@please_ignore
> Got challenge flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x608a8215
> NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
> NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
> Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
>       \\VIRT-THUNDERBIR               Linux Virtual machine
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
> VIRT-THUNDERBIR<0x20>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
> VIRT-THUNDERBIR<0x20>
> resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS servers
> listed.
> resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name VIRT-THUNDERBIR<0x20>
> Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 445
> Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 139
>       \\FEDORA18                      Samba Server Version 4.0.4
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
> resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS servers
> listed.
> resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name FEDORA18<0x20>
> Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 445
> Connecting to 81.200.64.50 at port 139
>

>  whois for 81.200.64.50
>

> seems to be Skype!
>
> Am I concerned?

You haven't set up Samba correctly - if you're on Fedora 18 you'll be
using Samba4 right? It's a different beast from the previous versions
and there are different things to configure.

Basically smbtree is trying to resolve the master browser and failing to
find it because your machines aren't correctly configured and/or certain
helper services aren't running. As Gordon said, that 81.200.64.50 IP
will be your primary DNS entry and after smbtree has failed to use wins
or other standard methods to find your authoritative server it's now
(correctly) walking DNS and trying to get it's lmhost information that
way. This is completely to be expected and it just means you need to
configure your Samba machines properly.

If there are only Linux machines on that network is there any point in
using Samba anyway?

Regards